Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sailing towards Aslan's Country


"While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia." (VDT, Ch. 14)


A laser -like focus and courage and hope will never let anybody down but almost all things begin with belief or faith and then the seed of faith gives us the power to imagine wonderful things. Dreaming, imagining, are words full of tremendous energy. Some people uses this gift to get for themselves luxuries in this life. That is good. Others uses  this to create wealth to help others - this is what The Great Carpenter from Nazareth wants us to do. I also see others using this gift of imagination to achieve great things for the sole purpose of giving glory to the Unseen One who sees everything.


Repicheep begin with a belief in all that is good and noble, a belief in Aslan and in the reality of Aslan's country. That kind of belief gives him hope and hope has its own force that when stirred gives him courage to go on and strive and persevere. " And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country....I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."  Oh what a valiant character! No turning back for this valiant mouse!


I remember the Sunday School song " I have decided to Follow Jesus" the lyrics goes like this:


I have decided to follow Jesus...
Though none go with me still I will follow...
No turning back...no turning back.


It all starts with the belief in all that is good and the consummation of all that is good is God. And the tremendous energy that comes from the One who is Good gives us courage to do things...courage to admit how tough and sad life can sometimes be...courage to look for the good when the world seems so dark...courage to change...courage to innovate....courage to do things that we have never done before until the intended purpose was achieved. And if our strength fails us and we have not reached the mark nevertheless we will not turn back. No we will not.We will raise the flag of victory for we know that we have not persevered in vain. We know Him- the One who calls us from the beginning. We know that He is True and Just and Good.


There were three young Hebrew men whose names were Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. They were taken captive by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. A time came when the king decided to make a huge image of gold 90 feet high and he announced that everyone in his kingdom should bow on this image the moment they hear the sound of music. If  anyone was found not bowing to the statue will be thrown in to a huge burning furnace.
Then the most awaited celebration started and the music was heard and everyone except Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego did not bow to the statue. Somebody told the king that these three young men didn't obey the kings orders. The king was so enraged and asked them:


"Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you will not bow down and worship the image of gold that I have made?  Just in case there was a mistake I will give you another chance.  When the music plays again you will be ready and bow down to the image, and if you don't this time you will be thrown into a fiery  furnace.  Then what god will be able to save you?" 


Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego looked at each other and replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we did not make a mistake nor will we apologize for not bowing down.  If we are thrown into the furnace, the God we worship will save us, and he will rescue us.  But even if he does not, we want you to know, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." (Book of Daniel Chapter 3 - The Bible)


When you read the whole chapter then you'll know that they were thrown in to the fiery furnace but God intervened. God Himself walked with them in the fiery furnace and the three men just walked out of the fire not a single hair was burned.

In The Chronicles of Narnia "The Silver Chair" the Green witch says to the Narnian: “Put away these childish tricks.  I have work for you in the real world. There is no Narnia, no overworld, no sky, no sun, no Aslan.”  The Marshwiggle remarkably responds by affirming: “I ‘m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it.  I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can, even if there isn’t any Narnia.” 


Reepicheep, the three young Hebrew men and the Marshwiggle gives us a glimpse on how to believe and have a laser-like faith, how to live and persevere and they give us some principles as well on how to sale towards Aslan's country. Believing, dreaming, sailing on calm waters and stormy seas, in the light of day and in the darkest night, it doesn't really matter -knowing that He who controls the waves and the storms is sailing with us. We know that the One who walks in the midst of fire will never leave us. We know these things because He is True to His words. He is Just and He is Good.


Happy Sailing! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

GetBooks Search Engine

Custom Search